Edward ‘Ned’ Sandercock
Wayne County Court House
Second Floor Annex
(570) 253-5970 Ext. 4030
Ronald Bugaj, Esq. Solicitor
Laurie J. Collins, Chief Deputy
Joyce R. Skinner, Bookkeeper
Karen Bates, Civil Clerk
Linda Shuman, Criminal Clerk
Nancy Tallman, Criminal Clerk
Susan Gillow, Domestic Relations Clerk
Maureen O’Hara, Juvenile/Adoption Clerk
Ruth A. Vinton, Civil Clerk/Scanning
Deborah Fritz, Civil Clerk
Aimee Pearson, Scanning
Monday through Friday
8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
The primary function of the Prothonotary’s Office is to file and maintain the records for the court. These records include:
- Civil Actions
- Judgments & Liens/Stipulations
- Domestic Relations
- 1. Divorce actions
- 2. PFA’s
- 3. Support
- 4. Custody
- Equity Actions
- Eminent Domain Proceedings
Most of the records are available to the public by coming into our office. Digital records exist from 1996 to the present.
Our office is a Passport Agent.
For more information or instructions see Passport Services.
Applications for certified copies of Pennsylvania birth certificates can be obtained through our office. Usual time to receive a birth certificate by mail is 10 days to 2 weeks. Immediate copies can be received by going directly to the State Building at 100 Lackawanna Avenue in Scranton, PA. A $10.00 fee is required along with Photo ID.
For more information see Vital Records We also have addresses and phone numbers to obtain certified copies from other states or you can visit WWW.VITALCHEK.COM. (1-800-255-2414)
For genealogy researchers, our office has:
- Birth and death records from 1893 to 1906
- Marriage records starting in 1885 to present
- Some naturalization records
- County Tax Assessment Census for 1880
- School records from 1912 through 1971
For more information see Wayne Co. Genealogy Home Page at Roots Web.
Clerk Of Courts
The Clerk Of Courts maintains the criminal records which include Adult and Juvenile matters. All Juvenile cases and adult criminal cases involving a child victim of physical or sexual abuse are closed to the public. Members of our staff attend court proceedings to administer oaths to jurors, witnesses, etc. and to catalog exhibits at trials. For information regarding posting of bail and return of bail monies, call our office.
As a Clerk of The Orphan’s Court we file:
- accounts of executors, trustees and guardians
- estate claims
- family settlement agreements
- appointment of guardians on minors and incompetents
- adoption proceedings
Application for marriage licenses requires the following:
- Both individuals must appear in person at the same time.
- There is a three-day waiting period from the time of applying until the license may be picked up.
- License must be used within 60 days from the day it is issued.
- If married before, proof of dissolution of prior marriage is required.
- If dissolved by divorce, a certified copy of the divorce decree is needed.
- If widowed, date of death of the deceased spouse.
- $35.00 fee paid at time of application.
- Applicant under 18 years of age must have a parent sign consent form.
- Under 16 years of age must have approval of judge, as well as a consent form signed by a parent.
- Both applicants need to know their Social Security number, parents’ birth places and mother’s maiden name.
- Applicants should arrive no later than 4:00 p.m.
- NO BLOOD TESTS ARE REQUIRED.
- One form of photo ID – Ex. Drivers License, or Passport
|Appeal from Arbitration||Call for current Fee|
|Appeal from Magistrate||$103.50|
|Appeal from Operator’s License Suspension||$103.50|
|Appeal to Appellate Court|
|Commencement of Any Action
(Summons, Complaint, Petition, Quiet Title, Eminent Domain)
|Complaint for Custody||$110.50|
|Docket entries (computer generated)||$5.00|
|Letter size papers (per page)||$7.00|
|Additional Counts||Each: $28.50|
|Divorce Master fee||$500.00|
|Retake Maiden Name||$10.00|
|Certified Copy of Divorce Decree||$10.00|
|Filing of Any Report, Account, Document or Papers not herein provided||$15.00|
|Confession of Judgment||$19.00|
|Default or Final Judgment||$14.00|
|Exemplification or Certification of judgment||$15.00|
|Judgment of non pros||$14.00|
|Revival of judgment|
|Praecipe for Arbitration||$20.00|
|Reinstatement of Complaint||$7.00|
|Re-issuance of Writ||$7.00|
|Waivers and Stipulations||$20.00|
|Writ of Execution||$22.00|